CEMEX Marine dredgers bring sand and gravel from the North Sea and other off-shore locations into three wharves along the Thames including Northfleet, primarily for use in the London construction market. The new conveyor will improve the discharge performance of the material from the dredger onto the Northfleet site for processing. The site currently handles approximately 500,000 tonnes of material a year.
The PLA’s Investment Plan is aimed at diversifying the PLA’s income streams and delivering the goals of their Thames Vision, which targets greater river use, alongside an improving environment. The Investment Plan aims to support commercial investments which support the river and port use, long term investments which deliver public benefits and public benefit investment with no financial return.
PLA Chairman, Christopher Rodrigues CBE said “We have built up a strategic cash reserve over many years to provide us with scope to make beneficial investments. We’re going to turn that reserve to active use, sustaining and growing river use and improving the environment. The Thames Vision sets out really ambitious goals and this is us doing our bit to kick start development and growth.”
CEMEX’s Marine Director, Laurence Dagley comments “We welcome the opportunity to partner with the PLA to improve cargo handling on the Thames. London is an important market for us and this investment will provide a platform for continued use and future growth.
“The capital needs approximately 10 million tonnes* of sand, gravel and crushed rock every year to build, maintain and improve housing, buildings and infrastructure. The use of water to transport building materials to the heart of the city reduces the need for long distance lorry movements, with every dredger reducing the need for 250 lorries on our busy roads.”
Notes to editors:
For further CEMEX details contact Elizabeth Young; email: Elizabeth.firstname.lastname@example.org t: 01932 583214.
- * details from the Mineral Products Association see http://www.mineralproducts.org/17-release40.htm
- More news stories can be found on Twitter @CEMEX_UK and on our website www.cemex.co.uk
- Helping to build a Great Britain – CEMEX’s vision is to help build a greater Britain by providing solutions to construction problems through our innovative building materials, our expertise, our understanding of the construction issues and our people. We aim to create the best service and the best solutions for a better future.
About CEMEX: CEMEX is a global manufacturer of building materials and the biggest Mexican investor in the UK, with 3,000 people employed across 450 sites nationwide. In this country, we are a leading provider of aggregates, cement, ready-mixed concrete and rail sleepers with annual sales of around £1 billion.
Information about the PLA:
- The PLA works to ensure navigational safety along the tidal Thames, sharing its marine, environmental, planning and other expertise to promote use of the river and safeguard its unique marine environment. For more, visit: http://www.pla.co.uk/
- The tidal Thames is one of the UK’s busiest waterways and is home to the country’s second biggest port by tonnage of goods handled.
- The Thames Vision is the 20 year development framework for the tidal Thames. Developed with stakeholders, it targets increased river use across trade, travel and sport, alongside an improving environment. For more, visit: http://www.pla.co.uk/About-Us/The-Thames-Vision
- Follow the PLA on Twitter: @LondonPortAuth
- For further information contact: Alistair Gale, PLA Director of Corporate Affairs & Strategy, 07711-440736