If we all reduce the water we use and recycle our water where possible, we can reduce that pressure and help make our demands on nature more sustainable.
A number of managers at CEMEX have been taking steps to improve their sites’ use of water. As well as being good for the planet it can provide cost savings in the medium to long-term. So, whatever the motivation, efficient use of water is what we should strive for, to reduce our environmental footprint and make better use of the resources the planet has.
Many CEMEX sites have developed projects over the last few years:
Asphalt, Ready Mix and Mortar at CEMEX
• reduce the need to discharge to surface waters and minimise potential for accidental pollution
• reduce the need to discharge trade effluent – reducing costs
• improve operational conditions – reduce flooded areas on site
• utilise the “free” water falling on site as rain
• minimise mains water usage – resource efficiency and reduce costs
• utilise rainwater for dust suppression – minimising fugitive dust issues
• the high-pressure pump and low volume lance, replacing the high volume pump, reduces mains water and power usage and is more time efficient.
If you manage a site and are interested in making your use of water more sustainable contact your Environmental Manager.